Implementing Chinese herbal medicine in the treatment of 2019 n-coronavirus pneumonia
Notice of the use of recommending Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine prescription in the treatment of the pneumonia infection by the 2019 n-coronavirus
On February 2,2020, the medical team of Wuhan Novel coronavirus Pneumonia Prevention and Control Head Office issued a notice entitled "Notice of the use of recommending Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine prescription in the treatment of the pneumonia infection by the 2019 n-coronavirus”, which emphasised that:
Firstly, the designated medical institutions should set up special teams for the prevention and treatment with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) according to the requirements of the State Administration of TCM, composed of officials in charge of TCM matters, related staff and experts, to strengthen the implementation of the clinical use of TCM.
Secondly, each designated medical institution should set up a TCM expert team. Patients should be treated in accordance with the principle of TCM and recommended prescriptions. The records of the course of disease shall be kept in detail.
Thirdly, the designated medical institutions shall ensure that Chinese medicine (traditional Chinese medicine decoction or granules) is given to all patients before 12am, 4th of February,2020. The dosage used as well as any changes in the patient's condition after taking Chinese Medicine shall be reported to the Municipal Health Committee of TCM Management before 17:00 of each day.
The prescription attached to the notice is the recommended general prescription for suspected patients of 2019 n-coronavirus pneumonia drawn up by academician Tong Xiaolin and other TCM experts from Wuhan City, Hubei province.
The recommended prescription:
Ma Huang 6g Sheng Shi Gao 15g Xing Ren 9g Qiang Huo 15g Ting Li Zi 15g Guan Zong 15g Di Long 15g Xu Chang Qing 15g Huo Xiang 15g Pei Lan 9g Cang Zhu 15g Fu Ling 45g Bai Zhu 30g Jiao San Xian 9g(each) Hou Po 15g Jiao Bin Lang 9g Wei Cao Guo 9g Sheng Jiang 15g
1. Aversion to cold, fever, backache, body ache, add Gui Zhi 9-30g; aversion to cold, no sweating, fever above 39 ℃, Ma Huang 9-15g, add Lu Gen 30-120g, Sheng Shi Gao 30-90g, Zhi Mu 15-30g; feeling cold and hot, comes and goes, add Chai Hu 15-30g, Huang Qin 15-30g; fatigue, add Huang Qi 15-30g, Ginseng 6-9g or Dang Shen 9-30g
2. Sore throat, add Jie Geng 9g, Lian Qiao 15g; dry cough, add Bai Bu 15-30g, Chan Tui9g, Zang Qing Guo 9g, Su Zi 9g; difficult breathing, add Mi Zi Wan 15-30g, Mi Kuan Dong 15-30g, Mi Pi Pa Ye 15-30g, Ting Li Zi 30g; coughing blood, add Xian He Cao 30g, Zi Cao 15g, San Qi 3g
3. Large volume of yellow phlegm, add Gua Lou Ren 30g, Huang Qin 15, Yu Xing Cao 30g, Lian Qiao 30g, Ban Lan Gen 30g
4. Poor appetite, add Lai Fu Zi 9-15g, Chen Pi 15g; nausea or vomiting, add Ban Xia 9-15g, Huang Lian 3g, Su Ye 9g, Sheng Jiang 30g
5. Diarrhoea, add Huang Lian 6-9g, Fu Ling 60-90g
6. Constipation, add Zhi Shi 10-15g, Sheng Da Huang 6-15g
7. Red tongue or dry tongue, add Lian Zi Xin 6g, Mai Dong 30-90g
8. Dark red tongue, add Sheng Di 30g, Chi Shao 15-30g
9. Cold extremities, sweating, difficult breathing, unconsciousness, dark, pale tongue or purple tongue, thin fast pulse, add Ren Shen 9-15g, Dan Fu Zi 9-30g, Shan Zhu Yu 30-90g, Gan Jiang 15-30g, Tao Ren 9-15g, San Qi 3-9g
Administration: Take three times a day before meals, one packet of herbal medicine per day.
1. This prescription is the recommended as general prescription for suspected patients of 2019 n-coronavirus pneumonia drawn up by Academician Tong Xiaolin with other exports in Wuhan City, Hubei Province. It is applicable to those clinically diagnosed as suspected patients of 2019 n-coronavirus pneumonia. A consultation with a qualified TCM doctor is needed before applying on individuals.
2. Senior patients with weak body condition should take tonifying yang and Qi herbs as early as possible. For senior patients or patients with heart disease, attention shall be paid to the dosage of Ma Huang.
3. Anyone who uses this prescription must be registered and followed up. Modifying the prescription according to the change of illness. The treatment plan needs to be adjusted in time according to the condition and syndrome differentiation.